UPCOMING CONTESTS & PUBLICATIONS
19 November – Creative Writing Slam
Sign in starts at 6:45 in MA-142. Slam starts at 7:00.
- Enter short stories, poetry, lyrics, essays, drama, or any other type of creative writing
- Three minute time limit for each piece
- You may enter up to three separate pieces
- Prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
Pieces will be judged on quality of writing and performance. Registration forms must be submitted by the day and time of the event and can be found: HT2 Building, office 106 0r 107, the English Dept. office in the 05 Building, by emailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or at the event.
21 November – MCCCD Creative Writing Competition Entries are due by 11:59PM on November 21st. For competition guidelines and submissions, access our website https://gccazcrw.wordpress.com for instructions and a link to the official website.
22 November Deadline– The Traveler Open for Submissions
GCC’s Creative Arts Journal The Traveler will be accepting submissions of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and one-act plays from October 15 to November 22. Go to http://www.gccaz.edu/traveler/submissions for guidelines, entry forms, and submission.
Winning submissions will be published in The Traveler! Direct questions to: email@example.com.
/***SPRING 2015 CLASSES***/
CRW 120—Introduction to Writing Children’s Literature
CRW 150—Introduction to Creative Writing
CRW 160/260—Introduction to Writing Poetry and Intermediate Poetry Writing
CRW 170/270—Introduction to Writing Fiction and Intermediate Fiction Writing
CRW 180—Introduction to Writing Nonfiction.
CRW 190/290—Introduction to Screenwriting and Intermediate Screenwriting
CRW 251—Topics in Creative Writing (In a Flash: The Power of the Short Form)
CRW 272, 273, 274—Planning and Structuring the Novel, Writing the Novel, and Revising the Novel
/***CRW SATURDAY WORKSHOPS***/
The CRW Saturday Workshop Series continues in Spring 2015 with even more exciting workshops. All workshops take place in LA-141 at GCC Main from 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM unless otherwise advertised. Light refreshments are provided.
* 7 February – “Ink, Inspiration and Image–Using Drawing Prompts to Generate Ideas for Writing,” presented by Johnnie Clemens May, GCC CRW/English Faculty and Poet, and Dorothy Stewart, Visual Artist and Poet.
* 7 March – “This Title is Not Yet Viewable,” presented by Jeff Baker, GCC CRW/English Faculty Guy
* 28 March 2015 – Presented by Shawnte Orion, Free Association Host and Poet.
* 11 April 2015 – “Using Poetry to Capture Place,” presented by Kimberly Mathes, GCC Faculty and Poet.
/***FREE ASSOCIATION OPEN MIC POETRY AND PROSE SERIES***/
Join the Rorschach Poets on the third Wednesday of every month for the Free Association Poetry and Prose Open Mic Series from 7 to 9:30 p.m. in Room 104 of the Student Union at GCC. The free event brings celebrated writers of poetry, fiction, and non-fiction to local residents, students, staff, and faculty. The event is open to the public. During the open mic session, the audience is invited to present all styles and stages of writing.
Mark Your Calendar! Make sure you note that a few of the events do not fall on the third Wednesday because of holidays and breaks in the GCC academic calendar. They do, however, occur on a Wednesday.
10 December * 21 January * 18 February * 25 March * 15 April * 20 May * 17 June