How to Make Your Stories Move (Better), by Gary Lawrence (9/9/2017)
- PowerPoint Presentation can be found here: How to Make Your Stories Move_GCC_170909.
- “Garage Sale” story can be found here: GARAGE SALE_130901
The Art of Syntax, or How to Write a Sexy Sentence, by Jayme Cook (3/25/2017)
- Google Slides presentation can be found here.
Characterization: Populating Your World with Realistic People, by Mark Broeske (11/5/2016)
- Book List
- Ron Carlson Writes a Story, by Ron Carlson
- The Art of Fiction, by John Gardner
- The Portable MFA in Creative Writing, by the New York Writers Workshop
- A Passion for Narrative: A Guide to Writing Fiction, by Jack Hodgins
Flash Fiction, by Gary Lawrence (9/13/2014)
- Presentation Materials
- Story List (links unavailable due to copyright restrictions
- “August Evening”, by Joyce Carol Oates
- “How to Touch a Bleeding dog”, by Rod Kessler
- “Sandy”, by Brian Doyle
- “The Stones”, by Richard Shelton
- “Chapter VII”, by Ernest Hemingway, from In Our Time
Managing Time in Fiction, by Gary Lawrence (10/2013)
- The presentation focused on using Hemingway’s “The Short Happy Life of Frances Macomber” to discuss how writers manage time in fiction.
- “The Short Happy Life of Frances Macomber” (full text), by Ernest Hemingway