The Traveler is a student creative arts magazine produced annually by the English and Art Departments of Glendale Community College since 1968. These stories, poems, creative non-fiction and artwork are created by GCC’s multi-talented student body.
Publication in the Traveler is decided by GCC staff judges that are experts in their respective fields. Submissions are accepted every Fall. Fiction and One-Act Plays (Drama) are limited to 3000 words. Creative Nonfiction entries are limited to 2000 words. Flash fiction returns in the new issue with a 500 word limit. Up to three pieces of poetry or artwork can be submitted–with poems not exceeding 67 lines.
After the recent extension, submissions are currently open until December 2nd, 2016.
Submit your work here: Submissions
Those responsible for this publication believe in artistic freedom of expression. Therefore, we have not censored the contents of The Traveler. We realize, however, it is important that the readers of The Traveler be aware that it contains some content of an adult nature.
Jeff Baker is the GCC CRW coordinator for The Traveler. Feel free to contact him with any questions at email@example.com.
List of winners for 2015-2016:
- First Place: “Leela” by Maneesha Lele
- Second Place: “Stray Dogs and Leftover Bagels” by Dexter Ferrie
- Third Place: “Immersion” by Maneesha Lele
- First Place: “Civility’s End” by Charles Hisey
- Second Place: “Grandfather’s Gift” by Charles Hisey
- Third Place: “Obsession: Always Climbing” by Karina Pineda
- Honorable Mention: “Learning the Ways of the South” by Roderick McIver
- Honorable Mention: “Flora” by Taylor Robinson
- First Place: “Fag Country” by Jamie Heath
- Second Place: “Victims of the Time” by Tina Daquilante
- Third Place: “Suicidal Reasoning” by Charles Hisey
- First Place: “One Shining Moment” by Eric Bond
- First Place: “Ghosts of John” by Daisy Cannon
- Second Place: “A Pair of Galoshes” by Roderick McIver