The Traveler is a student creative arts magazine produced annually by the English and Art Departments of Glendale Community College since 1968. These stories, poems, creative non-fiction and artwork are created by GCC’s multi-talented student body.
Publication in the Traveler is decided by GCC staff judges that are experts in their respective fields. Submissions are accepted every Fall. Fiction and One-Act Plays (Drama) are limited to 3000 words. Creative Nonfiction entries are limited to 2000 words. Flash fiction returns in the new issue with a 500 word limit. Up to three pieces of poetry or artwork can be submitted–with poems not exceeding 67 lines.
Those responsible for this publication believe in artistic freedom of expression. Therefore, we have not censored the contents of The Traveler. We realize, however, it is important that the readers of The Traveler be aware that it contains some content of an adult nature.
Jeff Baker is the GCC CRW coordinator for The Traveler. Feel free to contact him with any questions at email@example.com.
List of winners for 2016-2017:
- First Place: “I See You” by Cynthia Herda
- Second Place: “I Was a War Whore” by Charles Hisey
- Third Place: “Crows Don’t Sing” by Wendy Wallace
- Honorable Mention: “Dear Straight Dudes” by Jamie Lee Heath
- Honorable Mention: “Giving Birth to a Sonnet” by Charles Hisey
- First Place: “Skipping Sundays” by Alex Parson
- Second Place: “Zombie Walk” by Sara Dobie Bauer
- Third Place: “Blue Acres” by Maneesha Lele
- First Place: “My Tatum Place” by Tatum Morton
- Second Place: “Gremlin of Doubt” by Ashley Davis
- Third Place: “Summer” by Emma Matthews
- First Place: “Ascendant” by Katelyn Cissel
- Second Place: “Those Three Girls” by Alex Parson
- Third Place: “She of Greatness” by Mary Barreras