Please join the creative writing faculty at GCC in congratulating those selected for publication in the 2017-2018 edition of the Traveler. We received roughly 100 submissions of poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. From those submissions, the student literary staff, faculty judges, and community reader identified the pieces below, selecting them for publication. The physical publication of Traveler will be released later this Spring. Another announcement will be made when they are available
To all of the writers who submitted pieces to the Traveler, we humbly thank you for allowing us to read your work. The selection process is long and difficult, and many of the choices for publication this year came down to the slightest of margins. We hope that all of you will submit more of your creative work next year. The new submission period will open up during the Fall 2018 semester.
Here are the selections, as chosen by Traveler staff and our judges:
- First Place: “Merry-Go-Round”, by Sara Steven
- Second Place: “The Bargain”, by Dawn Gibbs
- Third Place: “A Trip to Destiny”, by Cynthia Herda
- Honorable Mention: “Last Call to Ruin Your Life”, by Jordan Johnson
- First Place: “The Devil in October”, by Liesl Nichole Meador
- Second Place: “Memories”, by Liesl Nichole Meador
- Third Place: “Closed Indefinitely”, by Hannah Walkner
- Honorable Mention: “A Call to Savor Family”, by Jeanneane Haley
- First Place: “Hello, You”, by Cara Cisero
- Second Place: “Breathing Space”, by Bryan Swepston
- Third Place: “I See You”, by Felicia Cole
- Honorable Mention: “Texas Hillside”, by Felicia Cole
- Honorable Mention: “I Am”, by Kayla Jensen
Due to a low number of flash fiction submissions, they were instead considered for the broader category of fiction. We chose to publish four pieces of fiction, instead of three, to represent the increased number of candidates. For drama, readers and judges chose not to publish any selections this year. We hope the 2018-2019 Traveler contest will see more candidates and more submissions.
Thank you, again, to everyone who submitted, and congratulations to those selected!