It is with great pleasure that we announce the literary selections for the 2018-2019 issue of Traveler, GCC’s Arts & Literary Magazine. From roughly 100 submissions, the following pieces have been selected for publication:
- First Place: Charlie Bickel for “Creosote”
- Second Place: Jordan Johnson for “Free Tea Day”
- Third Place: Persephone Pilibossian for “The Price of Fitness”
- First Place: Malka Daskal for “Princes in All the Earth”
- Second Place: Mindee Bahr for “Without Child”
- Third Place: Raushan Mateen for “The Library of Peace”
- Honorable Mention: Dawn Gibbs for “Hatching Day”
- Honorable Mention: Lynne MacVean for “Memorette Gum”
- First Place: Persephone Pilibossian for “Reaching”
- Second Place: Persephone Pilibossian for “What is Due”
- Third Place: Jordan Johnson for “Mile Marker Eleven”
- Honorable Mention: Cynthia Herda for “Got Faith?”
- Honorable Mention: Cynthia Herda for “Imagine the Wind”
Our student staff, judges, and coordinator would like to express what an honor it has been to read all of the submissions. For those that were not selected for publication this time, please know that we value the opportunity to review your work, and we hope you will submit again for our next issue. Submissions will open up once more in Fall 2019.
We hope everyone joins Traveler staff and our literary selections for a celebratory reading on March 6th, from 7 to 9PM in SU-104 (GCC Main). Our student writers will read from their winning work. Also that night we will be holding a competition for our Randy Smith Award in Humorous Poetry (read more about that here). Between our Traveler readers and our humorous poetry competitors, we hope to have a fun and rewarding celebration of the creativity here at Glendale Community College.
The 2018-2019 issue will be available in print later this Spring. Thank you to all who submitted, and congratulations, once more, to our winners.