The Traveler is a student creative arts magazine produced annually by the English and Art Departments of Glendale Community College since 1968. These stories, poems, creative non-fiction and artwork are created by GCC’s multi-talented student body.
Submissions are currently closed, and we will reopen again in Fall 2019.
Publication in the Traveler is decided by GCC staff judges that are experts in their respective fields. Submissions are accepted every Fall. Fiction and One-Act Plays (Drama) are limited to 3000 words. Creative Nonfiction entries are limited to 2000 words. Flash fiction returns in the new issue with a 500 word limit. Up to three pieces of poetry or artwork can be submitted–with poems not exceeding 67 lines.
Those responsible for this publication believe in artistic freedom of expression. Therefore, we have not censored the contents of The Traveler. We realize, however, it is important that the readers of The Traveler be aware that it contains some content of an adult nature.
Jeff Baker is the GCC CRW coordinator for The Traveler. Feel free to contact him with any questions at email@example.com.
List of winners for 2018-2019:
- First Place: Charlie Bickel for “Creosote”
- Second Place: Jordan Johnson for “Free Tea Day”
- Third Place: Persephone Pilibossian for “The Price of Fitness”
- First Place: Malka Daskal for “Princes in All the Earth”
- Second Place: Mindee Bahr for “Without Child”
- Third Place: Raushan Mateen for “The Library of Peace”
- Honorable Mention: Dawn Gibbs for “Hatching Day”
- Honorable Mention: Lynne MacVean for “Memorette Gum”
- First Place: Persephone Pilibossian for “Reaching”
- Second Place: Persephone Pilibossian for “What is Due”
- Third Place: Jordan Johnson for “Mile Marker Eleven”
- Honorable Mention: Cynthia Herda for “Got Faith?”
- Honorable Mention: Cynthia Herda for “Imagine the Wind”